The perfect crowd pleaser.
It gives you the taste of a cinnamon roll, without all of the calories!
Cinnamon Roll Cookies
adapted from recipegirl
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg white
- With a mixer, beat powdered sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla extract together.
- Once combined, add in flour, 1/2 cup at a time until incorporated.
- Turn out dough onto plastic wrap, wrap it up in a disk shape, and let it chill.
- In the meantime, set out 2 long pieces of wax paper (one on top of the other) that has been floured on the inside.
- Also, prepare the sugar and cinnamon mixture in a small bowl.
- And in a separate bowl, combine the egg white and water and mix until foamy.
- Once the dough has chilled (freezer for about 15-20 minutes or refrigerator for an hour) and is hard enough to work with, turn it out onto the floured wax surface.
- Cover the dough with the other floured wax paper and roll out to a 9″ x 12″ rectangle.
- Brush the dough with the egg white mixture (until covered: don’t feel like you are obligated to use it all) and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Using the wax paper, roll the dough into a log (long-wise).
- Freeze the log wrapped in the wax paper until firm (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil, or grease it.
- Remove the cookie log from the freezer and using a sharp knife, gently cut the cookies into 1/2″ slices.
- Leaving about 1″ clearance between cookies, bake for about 12 minutes or until light brown.
Servings: 22-24 cookies