I went to the grocery the other day in search of inspiration. I picked up a package of mild chicken sausage and went home to ponder what to make with it.
It’s been sitting in my fridge for a couple of days now because nothing seemed worthy of making anything with it.
My very best friend, Kala, suggested this:
Easy Spanikopita Calzones
adapted from BakingBites
- 1 pkg 5/16oz active dry yeast (Hodgson Mill for whole grains)
- 1/4 cup water (100°-should feel like warm bath water)
- 1/2 cup skim milk (100°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic (grated with a Microplane Grater or the smallest side of your grater)
- 4 ounces fresh spinach
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Greek Seasoning
- 4 ounces reduced fat feta cheese
- First, prepare the dough: Using the dough hook in a stand mixer, mix the yeast, water, milk and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the bread flour and salt and mix.
- On a plate or cutting board, cut up the butter into small cubes (6-9 cubes per tablespoon).
- Add the butter to the dough and knead for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Once risen, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Press the dough out into a circle, score and divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- With each section of dough, roll into a ball and flatten until about 1/4″-1/8″ in thickness.
- Lay each section out on a baking sheet covered with foil and cover with plastic wrap, letting it rise for another 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- In a saucepan with the olive oil, brown the sausage, onions and mushrooms.
- Once light brown, add the grated garlic, salt, pepper, and spinach.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On one half of each circle, place about 1/2 cup of filling (try to visualize how much 1/8th of the filling looks like) and top with about 2 tablespoons of feta cheese. Note: Be sure not to include any liquid.
- Fold over the other side (creating a half circle) and with a fork close the circle around it’s edge.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Servings: 8 calzones