I have to admit that these weren’t the easiest, most fool-proof thing I’ve ever baked. The pretzel crust is temperamental, the caramel has to be at the right temperature to cut, and you have to work quickly to get the chocolate to cover the entire candy bar.
Despite all of that, they were still worth it. They tasted delicious.
These treats would be a great gift to someone. Wrap in plastic wrap with ribbons on each side and share the love.
Homemade Pretzel Twix: 3 part recipe
1. Pretzel Layer
adapted from Food & Wine
Ingredients (Pretzel Layer)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups crushed pretzel goldfish
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
How-To (Pretzel Layer)
- In a bowl and with a hand mixer, beat the butter, pretzel and powdered sugar together.
- Once combined, add the flour and egg and beat again.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes until the dough hardens a little bit.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Taking your greased 8″X8″ pan, press the dough evenly on the bottom.
- Using a fork, poke small holes all along the top of the dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
2. Caramel Layer
Ingredients (Caramel Layer)
- 12-14 ounce bag of Kraft caramels
How-To (Caramel Layer)
- Melt 40-50 caramels.
- Pour the melted caramel on top of the pretzel layer.
- Put in the refrigerator and let it chill for about 30 minutes.
- Slice the bars. Method: Using a sharp knife, sprayed with Pam, score the bars. Then, using the tip of your knife, poke holes (almost like a dotted line) down the scored line. Then, just cut on the dotted line! I also cut my 8″ long bars in half…better on the figure.
3. Chocolate Coating
- 12 ounce bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Set out a sheet of parchment paper under a cooling rack that you will set the chocolates on.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate.
- Using a spoon cover the tops and let the chocolate drip down the sides.
- Since the pretzel crust is so crumbly, once the tops of the bars are covered, dip each bar in the chocolate (Using two forks take the chocolate covered bar out and place on the cooking rack or on parchment paper.) and let it harden.
Servings: 18 bars