As promised, here are the steps to making your own canned pumpkin, otherwise known as pumpkin purée. It’s easy…and a little messy! Homemade Pumpkin Purée
- Cooled roasted pumpkin
- Food processor or blender
- Cheese cloth
- Large bowl
- Using a spoon, scoop out all of the pumpkin, leaving the skin behind.
- Blend it up until it is a really smooth consistency.
- Set your colander inside of your bowl and place the cheese cloth in the colander.
- Scoop out the purée into the cheese cloth.
- Refrigerate and let the juice leave the purée for a couple of hours. For my small pumpkin, about 1 cup of liquid escaped. (If you don’t have that much time and don’t mind getting a bit messy, using your cheese cloth (folded over a couple of times) squeeze about the same amount of liquid.)
- Spoon out the pumpkin purée into a air tight container and store it in the refrigerator for a maximum of 5 days.
Up Next: How to Roast Cinnamon Pumpkin Seeds