Moms (my grandmother) searched for many years to find the perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are thin, crisp, and melt in your mouth. The best thing about them is you can make the dough ahead of time and when the time rolls around when you want to bake a batch, take the dough out of the freezer, roll, cut and bake!
Greatest Sugar Cookies Ever
- 2/3 cup crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream the crisco, sugar, egg, milk, vanilla extract and lemon extract.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, soda and salt into the creamed ingredients.
- Chill the dough overnight or until thoroughly chilled. You can keep the dough chilled for up to 2 weeks and bake when desired.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface and roll as thin as possible (about 1/4″ thick).
- Cut out shapes.
- Sprinkle any colored sugar as desired prior to baking.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until light brown (Don’t over bake).