It’s a new year. So here’s to a new you!
These muffins are definitely filling and healthy. There’s no sugar in the muffin batter (unless you count the grated apple as sugar)…only the delicious brown sugar strudel topping, just for a little sweet to make it oh so good.
Oh, and they’re best served warm (so just pop them in the toaster or microwave if they didn’t just come out of the oven)!
And as promised, from the Chobani giveaway these are made oh so moist with Greek yogurt! Thank you again for all of your participation in the giveaway. I got a lot of great ideas and keep watching out for more recipes made with Greek yogurt!
Healthy Apple Pecan Muffins
adapted from Ellie Krieger’s The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs or 6 tablespoons egg white egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened apple sauce or baby food
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 granny smith apple, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Mix the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside for the topping.
- In a larger bowl, mix the flours, baking soda and salt together.
- In yet another large bowl mix the canola oil, eggs, vanilla extract, yogurt, apple sauce and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix.
- Fold in the gradated apple.
- Fill the muffin tin 2/3 full per muffin spot. Then, sprinkle the entire batch of the topping evenly over the muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Servings: 12 muffins