Alright, I know ya’ll depend on me for making desserts healthier…and trust me, this recipe could be made better. But, while baking with my mom, we baked her way…just the way I remember it growing up. Mmm, poppy seed loaf. Delicious…and if you see the ingredients you’ll see why. I guess the best thing about this is that there isn’t any butter! Haha!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this. Just remember, a little slice is all you need.
Oh, and make sure you get an end piece…the best two slices because all of the glaze settles there. Yummmmm.
Poppy Seed Loaf
from my mom, Mary Ruth Starr
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the sugar, eggs and oil.
- Add the milk and flavorings.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the batter along with the poppy seeds.
- Beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Bake in two large loaf pans for about an hour
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Once out of the oven, mix the following ingredients together and pour over hot loaves.
- Remove from pans when the loaves have cooled.