My great-aunt Beth has caelic disease. If you aren’t familiar with this, caelic disease prohibits you from digesting gluten. I had never really known what products did and didn’t have gluten in them until I started reading labels. It is amazing to see how many foods do contain gluten. On the contrary, as I started looking, there are lots of gluten-free options for people in the grocery stores, now! It’s great!
Now, on to the recipe. And trust me, you won’t even miss the gluten. The quinoa noodles and all of the vegetables and spices make this dish so flavorful that the pickiest eater will enjoy it.
Gluten Free Vegetarian Baked Spaghetti
- 1 diced medium onion
- 10 oz bag diced frozen bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs vegetable pasta sauce (or your favorite jarred marinara)
- 1 package thawed and drained chopped spinach
- 16 ounces quinoa spaghetti noodles
- 2 cups of part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, bell pepper, black pepper, red pepper flake and Italian seasoning in the olive oil, until tender.
- In a pot, bring some water to a boil for the noodles.
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, after the vegetables have sautéed, turn off the heat and add in the pasta sauce and spinach to complete the sauce.
- In a 13″ x 9″ baking dish, spread a layer of sauce to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Next, layer half of the noodles, spread a nice layer of sauce, and sprinkle with nearly half of the cheese.
- Spread out the remaining noodles on top of the cheese, cover with the remaining sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is nice and melted and lightly brown.