Some days you just want a nice, hot bowl of soup. We had one of these kind of days a couple of days ago.
This soup is super easy and is ready within 45 minutes. It’s a great weekday meal with minimal prep-work and an excellent one dish wonder. Plus it’s loaded with veggies and hearty whole grains. It’s very filling and with the fun noodles will please any picky eater!
A big thanks to Alison at Ingredients, Inc for sharing this recipe!
Healthy and Filling Lentil Soup
from Ingredients, Inc.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound dry lentils
- 2 1/2 – 3 (32 ounce) reduced sodium cartons of chicken broth (amount dependent on the type of noodles used)
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 13.25 ounce box of whole wheat rotini (I used Ronzoni, but feel free to use what ever small noodle you’d like and as much or as little as you’d like.)
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, sauté the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and pepper in the olive oil until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the tomatoes and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and stir them around good.
- Add in the chicken broth and thyme.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add in the pasta when you are about ready to serve and cook for about 10 minutes (depending on the type of pasta).
- Serve with your favorite bread to soak up the delicious juices!