I know, another granola recipe. I’m obsessed. But, not as much as I’m obsessed with chocolate…or peanut butter.
And, look! This time there are pretty pictures and things. 🙂
Below shows the steps to go from lemon apple blueberry mush to delicious clumpy granola. Mmm!
If I had to choose my favorite fruit combination, it’d have to be lemon and blueberry.
I just think that they complement one another so delicately.
You’ve got the tart and vibrant lemon flavor to balance the sweet and rich blueberry flavor (unless of course, blueberries aren’t in season and you get a really tart one that makes your lips pucker).
I just love how summery lemons and blueberries make me feel! 🙂 It reminds me of long days on the beach. Ahhh…
And as you can see from the photo below, I’m dreaming of a macro lens (someday…)…until then, I’ll just zoom in on the lovely photographs that I take with the 50mm lens. 😀 I actually don’t think it looks half bad! Yay!
Anyway, you should give this granola a try! It’s the same basic recipe as my other granola…but with a lemon blueberry twist! 😀 Enjoy!
Lemon Blueberry Granola
First you’ll start off making the fruit mash.
Fruit mash (equivalent to apple sauce or baby food)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried blueberries
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, cook all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes, covered.
- In a small food processor (or blender), blend until a mash and set aside.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups brown rice crisp
- fruit mash (from above)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract/flavoring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups of your favorite nuts (pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- Place two oven racks on the top and bottom 1/3 of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Set aside two baking sheets with sides lined with a silpat liner, parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine both oats, brown rice crisp, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the fruit mash, honey, brown sugar, canola oil and vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the granola on the baking sheets, splitting evenly between the two baking sheets.
- With your hands, squeeze or pinch the oats together into medium/large clumps leaving space on the baking sheet between the clumps.Or you can press the granola down…which ever your choose, you will have clumps (Squeezing = round clumps, pressing down = flat clumps).
- Place the baking sheets in the oven for 20 minutes (one on the top, one on the bottom).
- While that is in the oven, chop your nuts and combine them in a bowl and set aside.
- With a large spatula flip over the granola, cut the larger clumps in half and add the nuts to the baking sheet.
- Bake for another 20 minutes stir around and break up any clumps that wouldn’t fit in one bite.
- Bake for a final 20-30 minutes, until completely dry and golden brown.
- Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Once cool, add in the blueberries.
- Store in airtight containers and enjoy with milk, on your yogurt, ice cream or in your pancakes!