I know you’ve had to have noticed an influx of granola recipes lately. I’m obsessed, what can I say! Anyway, I want to break it down into a customizable granola so that you can make it all your own!
And just as a recap, you’ll recall my Lemon Blueberry Granola:
And the Homemade Granola:
And finally my Homemade Granola 2:
Moral: If you follow these Granola Basics, you’ll have your own personalized granola in no time!
1. The Essentials
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 cups brown rice crisp
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup natural unsweetened apple sauce (or baby food)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2. The Crunch
- 2-3 cups of your favorite nuts
- chia seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
3. The Chewy
- 1-2 cups of your favorite dried fruit
4. Put it all together!
- Place two oven racks on the top and bottom 1/3 of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Set aside two baking sheets with sides lined with a silpat liner, parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine both oats, puffed wheat, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the apple sauce, honey, brown sugar, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the granola on the baking sheets, splitting evenly between the two baking sheets.
- With a silicone spatula (or any other flat tool), push down the granola to make a compact, flat and even layer of granola.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven for 20 minutes (one on the top, one on the bottom).
- While that is in the oven, chop your nuts and combine them in a bowl and set aside.
- With a large spatula flip over the granola, cut the larger clumps in half and add the nuts to the baking sheet.
- Bake for another 20 minutes stir around and break up any clumps that wouldn’t fit in one bite.
- Bake for a final 20-30 minutes, until completely dry and golden brown.
- Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Once cool, add in the dried fruit.
- Store in airtight containers and enjoy with milk, on your yogurt, ice cream or in your pancakes!