As promised here, I give you Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Scones.
The first batch I made with some vegan carob chips.
I’ve never tried carob chips before…and the nieve person in me thought that they would taste exactly like chocolate chips. Nope. They don’t. They’ve definitely got a different taste. It’s sort of bitter and doesn’t have that warm and fuzzy chocolate taste that I know and love.
The carob chip scones were still good…but the chocoholic that I am always led my hand to grab a chocolate chip one.
These thinner scones were from the batch of carob chip scones. I think I made the circle a little to big before slicing. Be sure to just shape the dough into a 6″-8″ circle. That way, they’ll be nice and thick. Mmm!
Well, go make yourself some chocolate chip scones. You will love them! And you can be like me and microwave any leftover scones for a couple of seconds and enjoy with a cup of coffee and peanut butter for spreading!
Ahh, peanut butter and chocolate, you never fail me.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces (1/4 inch or smaller cubes)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used vegan chips for a change)
- 1/2 cup plain 0% fat Greek yogurt (I tend to lend towards Chobani or Fage)
- 1/2 cup skim milk (almond or soy)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and mix until butter is spread throughout.
- Add the chocolate chips and gently stir.
- Gently mix in milk and yogurt until you’re able to switch to kneading it with your hands.
- Form dough into an 8 inch circle and cut into eight slices.
- Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in non-stick foil or a silpat mat.
- Brush with water and sprinkle the tops with raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
Servings: 8 scones