They are just vegetables and you eat carrots (vegetable too!) in sweet things like carrot cake.
And just because you see flecks of green doesn’t mean that you have to cringe with every bite.
What it does mean, is that you can have lots more syrup to counteract the healthiness in this breakfast.
This is always my motto.
I wish I had taken a photo of his face while he ate these.
Make them for your family and get a kick out of their faces, while you enjoy a deliciously healthy breakfast.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes
adapted from Healthy Food for Living
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (2 egg whites)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, wrapped in a kitchen towel, paper towel or cheese cloth and wrung out to remove excess moisture
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients and zucchini into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop by the 1/4 cup onto a greased griddle.
- Serve hot with your favorite pancake toppings (maple syrup, peanut butter, fresh fruit…).