I would freak out and drive to the closest grocery store (or gas station) at 6am if we were ever out of milk for breakfast.
I HAD to have cereal.
End of story.
I had a few favorites:
- Frosted Mini Wheats
- Lucky Charms (I always ate the cereal part first, marshmallows last.)
- French Toast Crunch
- Cinnamon Life
- Captain Crunch Berries (I always ate the yellow bricks first, crunch berries last.)
- Raisin Bran (believe it or not…)
…ya… see a pattern here? Sugar, sugar, SUGAR!
I still love my sugar, but now I can’t bare to think of a whole meal wasted on cereal (unless it’s homemade granola). Not that cereal is bad or anything. I’ve just began to love the idea of homemade ANYTHING in the morning (pancakes, waffles, quick bread, omlettes, french toast, muffins…).
I’m sure that you’ve noticed that I love pancakes. Since I do the vast majority of the cooking….that’s what we have for breakfast (at least once a week). Trust me!
My husband loves waffles. And after much determination, he got me to make some.
He loves them with whipped cream…See here:
Side Note: I really need to invest in a Belgium waffle maker, mine just isn’t cutting it anymore. *hint-husband-hint*
Whole Wheat Waffles
slightly adapted from Cookie + Kate
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, buttermilk powder, vanilla extract, eggs and agave nectar.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
- Pour in the melted butter and stir just until combined. Don’t over stir.
- Ladle into the waffle iron that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings (Some of ours included whipped cream, syrup, peanut butter, and bananas.)
Do you have a favorite breakfast?