I’m getting a pedicure today!
My first one since getting pregnant (I always just do my own toes…save the monies!) since I’m sad to say that I’m not longer able to contort into a position to paint all of my beautiful little toes (Yes, I have the tiniest toe nails ever. So weird.).
To celebrate, how about some of these gorgeously glazed, crunchy and sweet whole wheat pecan pie bars?
Just be sure that you boil the sugar mixture for the full 3 minutes. My pregnancy brain of mine didn’t remember this and only boiled it for about 30 seconds. Hence, the more runny and gooey whole wheat pecan pie bars.
It’s fine by me, though! They are fabulous either way!
Whole Wheat Pecan Pie Bars
adapted from Once Upon a Chef
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups coursely chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover a 8″ x 8″ pan with non stick foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In your blender or food processor, combine the flour, corn starch, and powdered sugar. Blend until combined.
- Add in the butter, blend until it combines.
- Push the crust into the prepared pan.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until very light brown.
- While the crust is cooling, prepare the topping.
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla extract. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to come to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and pecans.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour the topping on the crust.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Cut into squares and serve!