Sometimes you just run low.
That kind of reminds me of a kids song that I grew up with:
Do your ears hang low? Do they wabble to and fro? Can you tie ’em in a knot? Can you tie ’em in a bow? Can you throw them over your shoulders like a continental soldier? Do your ears hang low?
Name that show! 😉
Like I was saying. You sometimes run low on ingredients.
Since my husband and I share a car, I have to be super-planner when it comes to groceries. No last minute trips to the grocery for me!
So, I was cooking vegetarian slow cooker chili and it NEEDED corn bread. It’s just a match made in heaven. But, I didn’t have any corn meal!?!? Ahhh!
I kept thinking, is it even POSSIBLE to make corn bread without cornmeal? I had never heard of such! To my pleasant surprise, this cornmeal-less cornbread tasted quite excellent!
So, next time you don’t have any cornmeal, make this cornmeal-less cornbread…why don’t cha?!?
adapted from New Mind Snack
- 1 (15 ounce can) no salt added corn
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt (I didn’t add any because I was just going to be drowning the cornbread in my chili)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray an 8″ x 8″ non stick pan with canola oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the corn, milk, eggs, butter, and sugar. Beat until combined.
- Add in the baking powder and stir until combined.
- Add in the flour. Stir until combined.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cut and serve with your favorite soup or chili!