I seriously should have been born in Italy.
I love the pasta, the gelato, the coffee, the pastries, the pizza…
I still need to travel there…to Europe in general, but I want to go to Italy and Greece first. Ahh, dream…I digress.
Well, I’m almost positive that we have at least two italian dishes per week at our house.
See, I’m Italian. So good.
Anyway. My mother-in-law makes an excellent spaghetti sauce. She uses it to make her famous lasagna every year. Oh my gosh…I can’t even explain it to you.
So, basically she free hands the sauce every time she makes it, not following a specific recipe. Luckily I got her to tell me the ingredients she uses and I just went to experimenting!
And let me tell you, it tasted pretty similar to her sauce.
Make it and it’ll taste amazing and your house will smell like heavenly Italy all day long.
Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- In a pan, brown the ground beef and add it to the crock pot.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion, green pepper, and garlic until tender. Add to the crock pot.
- Put the remaining ingredients into the crock pot and stir together.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with your favorite whole wheat noodles!