If you think I’m starting to plan early…look at stores like Target. They had Valentine’s Day stuff out two days after Christmas! Geeze.
Anyway, I thought these were lovely, light, and dainty cookies to celebrate with the ones you love.
You can’t beat an all egg white cookie! 😉 Yes you can…that’s how you make them. Bahaha!
Please, forgive my awful joke.
Yay for pink/red/hearts/love season! 🙂
P.S. Don’t you just love all of the vanilla bean specks in these cookies???
Valentine’s Meringue Cookies
adapted from Cooking Light Cookbook
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Set aside 2 baking sheets covered in silpat mats.
- Put 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add it to the sugar.
- Stir well with a whisk.
- Put the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Beat on high until foamy.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the vanilla bean sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until just combined. The mixture should look like marshmallow cream.
- Scoop the meringue mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton tip or a ziploc bag with a hole cut in one of the corners.
- Squeeze even meringues out (about a tablespoon in size) onto the baking sheets. Be sure to leave space between them for expansion.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until light and crispy.
- Cool on the pan.
- Store in an airtight container.
Servings: about 50 heart cookies