I can’t believe I’ve never made baked donuts before.
They. Are. Amazing!!!
I’ve been on a crazy strawberry kick lately and it’s a good thing they are in season now. Otherwise, my bank account would be very angry.
Strawberries have been in practically every meal I’ve eaten. Let’s see:
- on top of my Life cereal with almond milk
- as a snack
- on top of salad
- on top of greek yogurt with granola and peanut butter
- on top of frozen yogurt
- in these donuts!
I might as well have an I.V. of puréed strawberries. Maybe I should request that at the hospital when I go in to deliver.
The bursting strawberries in the donuts and the pure flavor in the glaze makes these them so fresh and delicious!
ate wanted to eat 10 as soon as I made them…and it was a good thing they are made with whole grains and fruit, because my waistline (which is already huge due to this baby!) would hate me.
Seriously, how can you say no to these???
I’ll take a dozen or two…and the whole bowl of glaze.
Whole Grain Strawberry Donuts
adapted from Health
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberries, crushed with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray the donut pan with canola oil spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Either spoon the batter into the pan or put the batter into a large ziplock (or pastry) bag and squeeze into the pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 3 minutes before emptying out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled completely, dip in strawberry glaze (see recipe below).
- 3 medium sized strawberries, puréed (about 2 tablespoons purée)
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix ingredients together.
- Dip donuts into the glaze.