I have to tell you a secret.
Okay, it’s not really a secret, because everyone who knows about my eating habits knows that I don’t eat red meat (I grew up this way because my mom doesn’t eat red meat)….or didn’t until now. For some reason, during this pregnancy (3rd trimester), I’ve adventured outside of my ‘comfort zone’ and wanted to try some beef….grass fed burgers to be specific (which were amazing). But, I wanted to try steak. Hence, this recipe.
Now, comes the real secret…
I stink at making Asian cuisine. If you ever read this post (on my second attempt at making Asian food…read the story), you’ll understand.
I’ve made one other Asian dish before this stir fry, which also turned out pretty well. I’ll have to say, though, this stir fry is quite delicious. You can also leave out the beef or substitute it with chicken, shrimp, or tofu!
P.S. Sorry about the awful lighting…these photos were taken in my kitchen, with absolutely no natural light.
Also, be sure to cook the brown rice before starting the stir fry (See below).
Brown Rice Beef Stir Fry
adapted from Tasty Eats at Home
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 oz sirloin steak, sliced thinly into strips
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked (See instructions below)
- 2 T gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 T fish sauce
- 1 t sesame oil
- Fill a pot of water with enough water to cover the broccoli. Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes. Pour into a strainer and run under cool water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet (with tall sides) on medium-high heat, cook the steak strips in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and pepper until cooked and slightly browned. Set aside. I’m pregnant, so I cooked it to well done.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil and sauté the onion until almost tender. Add in the carrots and garlic and cook until the carrots are almost tender.
- Add in the broccoli, peas, and brown rice. Stir and let sit for about 1 minute.
- Add in the soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, and steak. Stir and let sit for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite garnishes (tabasco sauce, lime juice, green onions, etc).
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- Bring the water and salt to a boil.
- Add in the brown rice.
- Boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a strainer.
- Allow the water to strain from the rice for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the rice back into the pot.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. This is to self steam the rice.
- Pour into a separate bowl, allowing the rice to cool to room temperature.
Servings: 3 cups of cooked brown rice