Being a mom is a lot more challenging than I ever could have imagined. I barely have time to squeeze in a meal and my house has never been such a mess. Liam cries 80% of his waking hours and will only fall asleep in our arms. Life of a 3 week old…
…But, we still love him. That being said, I’m still trying to pump my body full of good ingredients. Whatever I eat, immediately goes to fuel him since I’m exclusively breastfeeding. I’m still buying as many pesticide-free, preservative-free, and cage-free ingredients to ensure we’re both getting the best quality foods.
Speaking of cage-free, I’m referring to our eggs. Did you know that Hellmann’s is on a mission to use 100% cage-free eggs to make their mayonaise by 2020? It makes me feel so happy that they have set such a noble goal. I want to support products that are humane to animals and don’t pump them full of hormones just to get a faster buck or two.
So, I set out to make a quick meal: A-BLT (Avocado Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich). If you ask me the only way to enjoy a BLT and grilled cheese is with a little mayo, both of which have become staples in my day to day diet. Mmm!
Hellmann’s was at the Food + Wine Festival in Aspen last week (totally jealous) to celebrate delicious and real food with celebrity chefs Time Love and Hugh Acheson. You can see Chef Love and Acheson provide an insider’s view of the Food + Wine Classic from chef secrets to the essential ingredients that help make up some of your favorite dishes.
I don’t know about you, but I want in on the fun next year. Head over to Hellmann’s facebook page to enter the sweepstakes for a chance to win various prizes including a Grand Prize trip to next year’s Food + Wine Classic! Oh, and make a BLT. 🙂
inspired by Hellmann’s
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 slices of hearty bread
- 2-3 pieces of bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 pieces of lettuce
- In a blender, such as a Blendtec, blend the avocado, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper together until blended.
- Spread onto your bread (or allow to sit for a few minutes and drain off some of the liquid from the avocado).
- Layer the bacon, lettuce, and tomato onto the bread.
- Enjoy! P.S. This would have made an amazing panini or just toasting the bread will take it to the next level!
Servings: 1 sandwich