We welcomed Liam Christopher Edwards into the world on May 31st. Be on the lookout for the birth story and cute pictures on Crackers & Carrots!
On another note, it’s June 4th. Today is my parent’s 29th wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!
This photo was taken at my bridal portrait shoot at the College of Charleston in 2008.
In honor of them, I’ve made these.
These brownies are the perfect balance of soft and chewy. I know my parents are definitely sweet and comforting, like these brownies!
Anyway. Go say I love you to someone and make them these brownies. Added bonus points for making them 100% whole wheat like these, and I won’t tell anyone if you use a box mix either.
Chocolate Crispy Brownies
adapted from Whole Wheat Provocative Brownies and Taste & See That the Lord is Good: A Collection of Recipes by Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (I used decaf since I’m pregnant)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (for brownies)
- 1 (10 ounce) package of small marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (for topping)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover a 13″ x 9″ pan in non-stick foil and spray with canola oil (for easy removal). Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the olive oil, eggs, coffee, sugar, and vanilla extract together.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir together.
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate chips (stirring every 30 seconds until melted).
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour into the pan and bake for about 20 minutes, until done.
- Place the marshmallows evenly on top of the brownies.
- Bake until the marshmallows are melty, 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan over low heat, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Stir frequently.
- Once everything has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cereal.
- Spoon over the brownies and marshmallows. Swirl into the marshmallows.
- Let chill in the fridge until set, about 45 minutes.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Note: You can always use your favorite brownie mix in place of the brownie layer too!