You’re probably wondering how I’m able to still function with a newborn and keep up on here. Well, I was diligent about creating a stock pile of amazing recipes for you guys before I delivered Liam…that’s how. This whole ‘mom’ thing is starting to wear on me and I have no idea how you mom bloggers out there do it!
This post is the first thing I’ve baked since Liam arrived. I was shocked at how much I could do with just one hand. Oh, and I’m developing quite the arm muscles carrying this little guy around with one arm!
Anyway. I’m glad I finally got back in the kitchen, as hectic as it was. I love baking and I love sharing things with you all!
Pre-Liam, I bought these cute cupcake liners and knew I needed to use them before July 4th, otherwise I’d have to wait for a whole nother year!
So, happy almost July fourth! I’m loving the surprise in the middle of these cupcakes….and especially loving that they’re 100% whole wheat. Thanks for the great recipe, Miryam!
Well, we’re getting ready for our first adventure to Charleston to visit our families this weekend as a family of 3.5! I’m planning on staying the week to spend July 4th with them too! Plus, it’s going to give my dear husband a lovely break away from this round-the-clock crying and give him some ‘me’ time.
What are you doing for the Fourth? Do tell!
Whole Wheat July 4th Cupcakes
adapted from Eat Good 4 Life
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray with canola oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, olive oil, milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and sugar together.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined.
- Pour into the muffin tins, filling 3/4 the way full.
- Bake for 17-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before icing.
- I just used store bought vanilla frosting and used a corer to put red in the middle!
Servings: 1 dozen cupcakes