Okay. Imagine making a hybrid of the following:
- marinara sauce
- sausage skillet
Yes, that is what I’d define this dish to be. It’s SO good. You’ve got a warm dish, full of flavor, vegetables, sausage and cheese ravioli! It makes a huge batch, so we froze half for an easy weeknight meal and ate the rest right off the pot. Yum!
Speaking of ravioli, I need to make a homemade ravioli. Have you ever made it homemade?
I bet Liam will be a fan soon enough!
Oh, and this mini ravioli comes from Trader Joe’s. We’re getting one in Columbia soon! Eeee!
Go make this soup!
Mini Ravioli Soup
- 1 pound organic sweet italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (26 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water + 1 vegetable bouillon cube (or 2 cups chicken/beef broth)
- 16 ounces mini ravioli (I used Trader Joes brand)
- fresh basil, to top
- Brown the sausage in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once cooked, put it to a separate plate, leaving just 1 teaspoon of the grease in the pot.
- Brown the onion and garlic in the pot.
- Once the onion has become tender, add in the wine allowing it to simmer until reduced.
- Add in the wine, zucchini, carrots, Italian seasoning sausage and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, 2 cups of water, and the bouillon cube.
- Let simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Just before serving, add in the ravioli and cook until done.
- Serve with fresh basil pieces and parmesan cheese.
Note: Towards the end when I was cooking the ravioli, I had to add another 3 cups of water to make it more ‘soupy’.