Quick bread is such a lovely way to start your day: no long wait times for yeast to rise and tons of flavor with added fruits and nuts! A warm slice of this bread paired with a cup of coffee is a superb way to start a winter morning, in my opinion.
Cranberries being the star of this loaf, makes for a lovely pop of flavor in every sweet bite!
When I think of quick bread, I’m always reminded of our local farmers market. There’s a few baked goods booths and they always have a lovely display of sweets and breads. I’m such a sucker for the baked treats and buying local just makes it all that much better!
For those of you who are southerners like me, you may shop at Piggly Wiggly. We have one right down the road from where we like to go on our runs in the afternoon, making it the perfect place to stop in and get our last minute ingredients for dinners. I also remember stopping in at Piggly Wiggly every time we would go to the beach in when we lived in Charleston. There’s a lovely store there right off of the IOP connector, for those who are familiar with the area.
And just a side story: When I was in high school and went on a church mission trip to Jamaica, we took a bunch of Piggly Wiggly t-shirts to donate and wear while we worked. I remember that another church group that was there too from Texas, who were obsessed with the Piggly Wiggly shirts. They always wished they had a ‘Pig’ near them. So, we traded shirts with them. So funny!
Well, ‘The Pig’, the local name of Piggly Wiggly, is hosting a Local Since Forever Giveaway on their website. Us Pig shoppers will have the chance to win southern food favorites and grocery discounts when we shop. We’ll also have the opportunity to win the grand prize of $20,000 and an additional $5,000 to donate to the local elementary, middle or high school of our choice. Awesome!
To help celebrate their giant giveaway, we’re giving away a $50 Piggly Wiggly gift card here on Chocolate & Carrots! Nothing like a little help with the grocery bill! Shoot, you could purchase all of the ingredients for this great quick bread and still have at least $40 leftover! For those of you fellow southerners or friends of Piggly Wiggly shoppers, just scroll down the page to enter!
Whole Wheat Cranberry Walnut Bread
adapted from Gracious Goodness…Charleston Cookbook
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup halved walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen cranberries thawed in the fridge)
- (glaze) 1 cup powdered sugar
- (glaze) 2 tablespoons low fat buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a loaf pan with canola oil. Set aside.
- Stir the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter.
- Beat in the egg, honey, and buttermilk.
- Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together and drizzle over the bread.