As some of you may know, I make an effort to have one salad as a meal every day. Since I’m a fan of hot meals for dinner, my lunch is usually my salad. Lately, it’s been baby lettuces topped with nuts, fruit, brie cheese and dressing.
Since it’s fall, it only makes sense to change things up a bit and make an autumn inspired salad!
Not only does this gorgeous salad pop with color, but the flavor profile is incredible. Here’s what you have:
- Spicy arugula
- Sweet candy coated walnuts
- Tangy gorgonzola cheese
- Sweet gala apple slices
- Sweet, tangy & creamy dressing
You’re getting a lot of different flavor action but also lots of textures, which to me, makes the perfect salad.
See, autumn doesn’t have to be completely hearty foods like stews! An autumn inspired salad is the way to go! That way, you can enjoy a nice hot meal for dinner…and maybe a little fall treat for dessert.
What’s your favorite autumn inspired food?
Autumn Salad with Candied Walnuts, Gorgonzola & Apples
slightly adapted from Bella Eats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces fresh arugula
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 small gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola
- First, you’ll need to candy your walnuts by bringing the brown sugar, water and butter to a boil in a non-stick pot. Allow it to boil for 1 minute. Add in walnuts and stir to coat. Continue to stir for another 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir until the glaze begins to harden and stick to the walnuts. Pour the walnuts out onto a parchment paper, non-stick foil or silicone mat covered baking sheet into a thin layer.
- Meanwhile, in the twister jar of your Blendtec or small food processor, pulse the whole grain mustard, balsamic vinegar and agave together until combined. While the blender is on low, slowly pour in the olive oil until combined and blend for one minute.
- Now, assemble the salad by tossing the arugula, spinach, apple, gorgonzola, candied walnuts and dressing together.