This is one of those recipes that I dreamed up. The crazy and wild recipes like this one are always made with all fingers and toes crossed.
Most of them are flops. This one is not!
How can go you go wrong with little bite sized pumpkin pies?!?
They go beautifully on top of chocolate pudding. This pudding in particular is a low-fat chocolate pudding.
But, they also make just a great movie treat, eating straight from a bowl or popping them in a fall soup would be spectacular! You really can’t go wrong. Let your imagination run wild.
Pumpkin Pie Croutons are the kick off to Pie Week! Several bloggers and myself have gotten together (thank you Audra (The Baker Chick) and Brandy (Nutmeg Nanny)) to bring you a week’s worth of pie recipes and some fabulous giveaways! Today’s giveaways include some amazing prize packs from Cabot and King Arthur Flour. 🙂
Keep scrolling down for recipes, giveaways and more!
Here are today’s other pie week recipes:
- Brown Butter Apple Custard Pie from The Baker Chick
- Bourbon Apple Hand Pies from Nutmeg Nanny
- Mini Pumpkin Pies from Dessert for Two
- Winter Squash Pot Pie with Chickpeas and Swiss Chard from Eats Well With Others
- Fancy Holiday Chocolate Pecan Pie from Keep It Sweet Desserts
- Chocolate Pecan Tart from Bake or Break
- Apple Cherry Galette with Kettle Chip Crumble from Country Cleaver
Pumpkin Pie Croutons
heavily adapted from Girl Versus Dough
- 1 whole wheat pie crust
- 1 1/2 inch circle cutter
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Roll out the chilled pie crust on a floured surface until it’s about 1/8″ thick. Cut out 1 1/2 inch circles.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the pumpkin, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and water together to make an egg wash. Brush the egg wash lightly over half of the circles.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin mixture in the middle of each egg washed circle.
- Stretch out the remaining circles just a little bit to place over pumpkin topped circles, pressing down on the sides to close.
- Place the closed pumpkin filled circles on the baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 42 croutons