I grew up with lots of football.
Not the football you’re thinking of with the Superbowl XLVIII right around the corner, though! My dad is a soccer player and lover of the World Cup. That being said, I can appreciate watching the Superbowl for the sake of a party.
Any excuse to eat food, right?
I think about food waaay too much. You too?
These Southwest inspired quesadillas are my pick for the Superbowl. Vegetable filled and super cheesy.
Oh yeah. I mean, look at that drippy cheese!
What are your food plans for the Superbowl? Are you a tortilla and chips person, pizza person, take-out Chinese person, etc.?
Creamy Southwest Quesadillas
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 4 whole wheat soft 8 inch tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach (or frozen)
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, cream cheese and taco seasoning. Spread in one fourth of the mixture over one side of each tortilla.
- Meanwhile, sauté the red bell pepper in a small sauce pan for 3 minutes to make soft. Add in the spinach at the last minute just until wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked bell pepper and spinach with the corn and black beans. Sprinkle over one half of the cheese mixture on the tortillas.
- Working in batches, place filled tortillas on a medium warmed griddle until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is light brown.
- Serve immediately.
Servings: 4 quesadillas