Molten lava cakes sweetened purely from medjool dates, contain no butter and made with 100% whole wheat flour!
I’ve got to say, as soon as Erin posted about healthier molten lava cakes, I knew I needed to try them for myself. I’ve been testing this recipe and adapting it for a couple of weeks now. There have been no complaints at my house.
Who wouldn’t want crazy amounts of warm lava cakes, fresh out of the oven, for dessert?
It makes 4 beautiful lava cakes that are entirely sweetened by date paste (It’s my new best friend!). These are also made with whole wheat flour and coconut oil instead of butter.
I have to also mention that if you don’t have ramekins to bake these in, just spray oven-safe ceramic coffee mugs! Since we’re mid-move, I just used mugs to test the first few batches. They worked beautifully!
Then, I had a little shopping spree at World Market….
P.S. Come join me at the Medjool Dates Facebook page this week!
Medjool Lava Cakes
adapted from Texanerin Baking
- 1/2 cups Medjool date paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray 4 ramekins (6-8 ounce) with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the date paste, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, espresso powder and salt together.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between until melted.
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Sift the flour into the wet ingredients and fold in until just mixed. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 4 ramekins and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center doesn’t look wet anymore.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes until you flip them out onto plates.
- Enjoy warm!