These Vegan Chocolate Donuts are simple and make a quick and healthy breakfast on the go! This is part of a challenge by Musselman’s Applesauce to write about something that I plan on doing 50% more of for the next 3 months. Gotta love a challenge!
I’m a morning person. I’m up before the sun rises and love starting my day on a fresh start. Last month I was asked by Musselman’s Applesauce to challenge myself to do something 50% more. For me, that something was to drink more water.
My first thought was to make something spicy, like these Spicy Apple Chicken Fajitas to help me drink more water. So far, so good!
My next train of thought lead me to breakfast. My good friend, Kala, is always great about drinking water, so I looked to her to get me drinking more…water, that is.
Kala suggested drinking a glass of water in the morning. So, that’s what I’ve been doing. I drink a full glass of water before I even go downstairs to make the morning’s coffee. This sets me up for meeting my goal of water intake.
Next up are the donuts, which pairs perfectly with my morning coffee (only, of course, after my morning chug of water). They couldn’t be easier to whip up and are deliciously vegan. You can’t tell it because they are super moist and perfectly chocolatey.
The day is starting! Let’s do this.
How are you challenging yourself to do 50% more? Do you drink enough water throughout the day?
Vegan Chocolate Donuts
adapted from Southern In Law
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Musselman’s big cup unsweetened applesauce (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips, melted
- (optional) 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs, sprinkled
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray the donut pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Either spoon the batter into the pan or put the batter into a large ziplock (or pastry) bag and squeeze into the pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 3 minutes before emptying out onto a cooling rack.
- In a microwave safe bowl (or over a double boiler), melt the chocolate chips. Spread on top of the cooled donuts.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with cocoa nibs.
Servings: 6 donuts