My fondest memories of the Fourth of July were spend out on the boat watching the fireworks. In Charleston, there’s a great firework show off the USS Yorktown and crows of boats come to watch. There’s music that goes along with it that we play on the radio and we just relax and eat tons of food!
It’s a great time.
To celebrate the upcoming holiday, I thought we’d start the day off with some flavorful and naturally colored pancakes!
Red = Beet
White = Plain
Blue = Blueberry
It takes a little more time than the average pancakes to whip up because you of the three difference colors. But, luckily, they freeze well, so you can make them this weekend and have them ready for the 4th’s breakfast in a hurry!
What are your plans for the 4th?
4th of July Pancakes
adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups + 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 1/2 cup beets, peeled, steamed/roasted and chopped
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat a griddle to low-medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking powder together.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla, eggs and milk.
- Add the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Divide the batter into three bowls.
- Meanwhile, in a blender (like a Blendtec) or food processor, purée the beets and 1 tablespoon milk. Add into one of the batter bowls.
- Also in a blender (or food processor), purée the blueberries. Add into one of the batter bowls.
- In the third bowl, add in the remaining 1/4 cup of milk.
- Measure out 1/4 cup sized scoops of batter onto the greased griddle, cooking until light brown on each side and cooked through.
- Layer your red (beet), white (plain) and blue (blueberry) pancakes to make your fourth of july treat!