The classic Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin made healthier!
Give me citrus! Trust me, it’s a pregnancy thing. I’m all about fruits and fruit desserts these days. I’m not sure how I got the inkling to want Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, but I knew I had to make them healthier (the chocolate & carrots way)!
Gah…and was it ever worth it!
These muffins are versatile. They are a great breakfast, snack or dessert AND they are a beautiful gift for that special someone.
And isn’t it so nice to think that they are full of flavor but healthier? They don’t have all of that fat, sugar and white flour that the typical lemon poppy seed muffin has. Scroll down to see the recipe and make them for yourself!
And if you were wondering, we’re still working away on the new house. So far we’ve painted every wall, trim and door in the entire house, a new roof installed, removed the hideous backsplash from the kitchen (it was terrible, ya’ll) and removed all cabinet doors and countertops in preparation for new countertops and new cabinet doors (made by my husband)!
I can’t wait to share it with you all! Cheers and have a happy hump day!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
adapted from Love Lola
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- zest of one lemon
- juice of two lemons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- (glaze) 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- (glaze) 1 cup powdered sugar, plus more if needed to make it thicker
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners
- In one bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- In the second bowl, combine the butter, egg, egg whites, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and yogurt together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Evenly spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325°F and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the glaze ingredients. Pour the glaze over the muffins once removed from the pan and cooled.
Servings: 12 muffins