Monster Donuts are the perfectly spooky Halloween treat! I’m honored to be part of the McCormick Everyday Bakers. Today I’m sharing a fun, flavorful and colorful recipe fit for Halloween!
Oh, Halloween. Where do I begin? Growing up my mom made Halloween a super fun day! We’d always have great costumes and the house would be decorated to the T! What’s more is Halloween night would be accompanied by the best junk food. I’m talking pizza, chips and dip and of course, candy.
While I’m a little more subdued when it comes to decorating, I still go all out on the food. And now that I have Liam, it’s time to get him excited about the fun holiday, too! And what’s better than starting Halloween day off with some spooky donuts?
The donuts are baked (Yay!) and the recipe only makes a small batch of six. Perfect for a little treat! The donuts themselves are also vegan. No messy eggs to clean up, yet perfectly moist, sweet and flavorful. I decided they’d look creepier with a nice glaze covering them, and I think I was right!
Then comes the spooky part…the neon green frosting and creepy eye sprinkles. I just love how cute and scary they look (not to mention delicious!). You can even make these the night before and they’ll be all ready for your Halloween in the morning!
Oh and they’re pretty sweet, so they’d be a perfectly acceptable dessert too. But what the heck, we may as well start the day with a sugar rush.
More spooky Halloween treats from McCormick and friends:
- Monster Cupcakes from Eclectic Recipes
- Ghost Cupcakes
- Black Velvet Whoopie Pies from McCormick
- Spooky Pancakes from Half Baked Harvest
- Orange Hocus Pocus Fizz from McCormick
- Candy Apple Monsters from Polka Dot Chair
- Creep Crawly Cake Truffles from McCormick
- Owl Cupcakes
donuts from Chocolate & Carrots
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup special dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons water
- 16 ounce container vanilla frosting
- McCormick Neon Green Food Coloring
- 30 eye sprinkles, 5 for each donut
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray the donut pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Either spoon the batter into the pan or put the batter into a large ziplock (or pastry) bag and squeeze into the pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 3 minutes before emptying out onto a cooling rack.
- Once on a cooling rack, mix the powdered sugar and water together until it’s a fairly liquidy and pourable glaze. Pour on the donuts, spreading it out with the back of a spoon.
- In a bowl, combine the half tub (8 ounces) of vanilla frosting and 20-25 drops of the neon green food coloring. Spread over the tops of the glazed donuts. Using the tip of a knife, poke at the frosting to create spikes.
- Randomly place the eye sprinkles and serve!
Servings: 6 donuts