Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies are great for your holiday cookie swap!
You guys, this has been one heck of a month so far. You wouldn’t believe the size of my to-do list before the baby arrives in a few short weeks, on top of my normal hustle-and-bustle Christmas to-do list. Phew! It makes me tired just thinking about it.
Anyway. I’ve been craving cookies lately and I couldn’t resist adding a little holiday flare.
You see, we moved 4 times in the past year and a few weeks ago, when we went to get out our Christmas decorations, we couldn’t find our ornaments! I was heart broken. I had that gut feeling like we somehow left them in the attic of our first house or the garage of our rental house. Someone would have called, right?
Well, I couldn’t not add some decor to our Christmas tree, so I ended up going to the store and buying an arm load of candy canes. They were perfectly festive to add a little sparkle to our Christmas tree.
Then, Liam discovered what a candy cane is and how delicious they are. I mean, it’s CANDY cane, for goodness sakes. Yes, he learned that word very quickly. I had to put most of the candy canes away, off of the tree and the ones that remained, stayed out of toddler-reach on the top of the tree…
…That is, until we found the ornaments! They were nestled safely at my brother-in-law’s house. Don’t ask me how they got there. After weeks of having a half covered candy cane Christmas tree, we finally decorated the tree with our favorite ornaments this weekend!
Liam was a great ‘helper’ placing the non-breakable ornaments on his half of the tree.
How cute is this?
Now, that we have ornaments on the tree, I have an abundant flow of candy canes waiting to be consumed.
The answer: cookies.
I’m not a HUGE peppermint fan, but I loved how these chocolate candy cane cookies turned out. The core of the cookies is straight-up chocolate. Then you get melted chocolate chips in every bite, along with a satisfying sweet and crunchy peppermint flavor from the crushed candy canes.
It’s holiday perfection, if you ask me.
Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint (equivalent to 4 candy canes, crushed)
- In a mixer or bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar together. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cornstarch and salt.
- By hand, stir in the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and peppermint.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Roll your dough into 2 tablespoon balls. Place 2 inches apart on parchment covered baking sheets. Bake for 13-20 minutes or until the edges are just light brown.
- Servings: 15 cookies