A healthy alternative for a baby’s first taste of cake is Chocolate Black Bean Cake!
While, my sweet Hayden didn’t appreciate the icing on the cake, he loved the cake part! Lucky for us grown ups, he didn’t touch the cake, so we sliced it and ate it ourselves! Everyone LOVED it! It’s, hands down, our favorite chocolate cake recipe.
If you’re looking for a non-chocolate cake, I made a healthy carrot smash cake for Liam that you can also make!
Also, I posted all of his first birthday photos here!
Chocolate Black Bean Cake Smash Recipe
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of no salt added BPA free black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons refined coconut oil (or softened butter)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line the bottom of three 6 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles and spray with cooking spray.
- Blend the beans, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil/butter, sugar and cocoa powder in a blender on high until completely blended.
- Add in the baking powder and baking soda and blend until combined.
- Pour about 0.5 pounds of batter into each pan.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Flip the cakes onto cooling racks and cool completely.
- Frost and decorate as desired.
Note: I used this cream cheese frosting to ice this cake.
Servings: one 6 inch three layer cake