the birth story

Wednesday, May 30th 3:00pm

I was in my regularly scheduled 40 week appointment when the doctor I was seeing suggested I get an ultrasound. This was because Liam was thought to be around 6.5 lbs when I was 36 weeks pregnant. At this ultrasound he measured 8.5 lbs, which meant he could be between 7.5 and 9.5 lbs (due to measurement error). After long discussions with my OB, the OB I was seeing that day, the OB that could be delivering me, and with my husband, we decided to go into hospital for an induction because the baby could have been over 10 lbs by original scheduled induction date (June 6-7th).

I was so nervous at this point and had just 2 hours to pick my husband up from work, get myself together, and head to the hospital. Needless to say, I was a mess.

WARNING: From here on out, if you’re grossed out by anything hospital/medicine/blood stop reading. Otherwise…let’s continue.

6:30pm

We arrived at the hospital.

7:00pm

They inserted Cervidil (a tampon-like medicine that causes your cervix to dilate and become effaced). Almost immediately, I began having hugely strong contractions which lasted for a couple of hours. They were about 1 minute apart and never slowed down in intensity between contractions.

This caused me to have absolutely NO break from pain. It was hard to catch my breath. We tried several coping techniques (thinking of clear water vacation helped to an extent): basically everything you could think of doing while being strapped to a fetal monitor, contraction monitor, and an IV.

9:00pm

Seeing that the contractions were so strong and frequent, the doctor on call that night decided to remove the Cervidil. They decided that it was because the Cervidil jumpstarted my body into labor (this can happen with Cervidil, but it’s rare). Once they removed the Cervidil, my contractions slowed down in intensity, but remained. By this point, the pain and hormones had me in full blown shakes and I was worn out from the physical pain.

Thursday, May 31st 12:30am

The nurses decided to give me an Ambien to help me fall asleep for the night, since I was scheduled to have Pitocin administered in the morning. That way, I could get some rest, and be able to fall asleep with the normal hospital noise andΒ disturbancesΒ throughout the night.

1:00am

During my nap, my water broke on it’s own. I don’t clearly remember what happened during the next couple of hours, due to Ambien’s side effects. The pain was extreme and hard to manage because I was still under the effects of Ambien. I couldn’t mentally take charge of my pain and to top it off, I felt extremely dizzy and loopy. The nurses asked me if I would like an epidural. I said yes.

2:00am

Dr. Knight arrived to insert the epidural. I instantly began to feel better. I went to sleep and slept very soundly.

4:00am

The nurseΒ woke me up to check my progress. At this point I measured 4cm and was told to sleep until Pitocin was administered via IV in the morning.

7:00am

The doctor checked me and I was already 10cm and +2. We were told that I could start pushing in an hour or so if everything looked good.

8:45am

Our nurse and assistants began prep work and I pushed a few times (through 2-3 contractions). I was told to hold off until the doctor arrived because the baby was crowning at this point.

9:00am

The doctor arrived and I pushed through another 3 or so contractions.

9:23am

Liam was born. He weighted 8 lbs. 10.2 oz. He was surprisingly calm, but cried when the bulb syringe was inserted in his mouth. And of course, I teared up and my husband was elated to see our first born. My husband told me, “you have a son.” Liam was immediately brought to my chest and wiped off. The doctor and nurses all agreed I made it look too easy and that they were very happy everything went so smoothly. They claimed this birth was a good story to share to their coworkers. The doctor was especially excited to share the story with my OB and the other doctor that helped me during the past day.

It was almost textbook perfect. I had 3 small lacerations, which the doctor stitched up. What do you expect from a 8 lb. 10.2 oz baby? πŸ˜‰

Logan cut the cord and did a great job. πŸ˜€ Good going, honey!

Liam immediately started making tongue/mouth gestures (yearning for nipple) and it was quite hilarious. After he had some initial prep/clean work finished, my husband picked Liam up and handed him to me for feeding. My husband claims that Liam was magnetized to the nip. Haha! He latched immediately and fed for 1 hour when we just decided to detach him, so he could be sent to the nursery and I could rest and get cleaned up. We immediately skyped with my dad, Chris, who was unfortunately in California on business to tell him the surprise that we had named Liam Christopher after him. You see, my dad has two aunts, three sisters, and four daughters. This boy is for him. ;D

Since January of 2010, Logan and I have been trying to expand our family. With help, we were finally blessed to find out in September 2011 that we were expecting. These nine past nine months FLEW by and I’m so happy to finally have Liam in my arms. He is truly a miracle baby.

I was soon moved over to the postpardum room, while Logan escorted Liam to the nursery for the bath, measurements, and a birth certificate!

We stayed in the hospital from Wednesday night until Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, we were so excited to be going home…

…and terrified.

And now begins our adventure of a lifetime…

This entry was posted in baby, mama. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to the birth story

1. Sarah says:

Congratulations he is absolutely adorable! I’m so glad it all went well for you, I can’t believe how amazing you look just after giving birth! Enjoy your new family πŸ™‚ Sarah x

2. Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy and a smooth delivery! What a sweet post; thanks for sharing.

3. Nicole says:

Beautiful story and even more beautiful baby and mama! I hope my labor goes as smoothly as yours. Congrats!

4. Tracey says:

What a great story Caroline, thanks for sharing! Congrats on Liam, he is beautiful and you all look so happy πŸ™‚

5. What a great story, Caroline! Liam is absolutely perfect. I know this blessing was worth the wait (and weight!). I hope you have a smooth transition home. You’ll be in the swing of things in no time. Happy Belated Birthday to Liam!!!

6. G says:

You delivered this post with the same caring strength and resolve that earmarked your pregnancy and, ultimately, your delivery.. Thank you for sharing..

7. I loved this… My husband and I are still trying a year and a half after a misscarriage. It always makes me so happy to read and hear about happy healthy babies being brought to happy healthy families! Congratulations!

8. You made me cry, what a wonderful story!
    I wish to you and your family all the best in the world!

9. What a beautiful ending and beginning to your starting a family story! He is just perfect! Many congratulations and I’m so glad you shared your story with us! I can’t wait to watch him grow!

And who was your photographer? Great pictures!!

• caroline says:

Aww, thank you Sara! My husband took all of the photos with our camera. You could say we’re just a photo-obsessed family between food and babies, now! πŸ˜‰

10. Melissa Borsey says:

He is beautiful! Make sure even through all the exhaustion that you slow down & enjoy!

11. Tracy via the traveling cupcake says:

How wonderful! Sounds like you had pretty smooth sailing (esp once that epidural was in place) and Liam is beautiful! Congrats to you and your family. Hope you guys are transitioning well to being a family of three πŸ™‚

12. Sandy w says:

Congrats to you both for a wonderful new baby son. He is precious. You are going to have so much fun in this new phase of your life. Enjoy every minute.

13. AWW! Good job to your husband for those photos. And for you for writing all of that down! It sounds like such a long time you were at the hospital (not that I even know what a normal amount of time is) and it all sounded terrible until he came out. And then I teared up. I love this post. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. πŸ™‚

14. Heather says:

Congratulations on your son! He’s beautiful and you did a great job.

15. Oh my goodness — this totally made me tear up! You are such a champ. And love, love, love all of the great pictures. What a beautiful family. Wishing you all the best as you continue getting to know your sweet son! πŸ™‚

16. Anna Levin says:

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! I only hope my labor (in about 19 and a half weeks) goes as smoothly as yours did. It’s definitely been helpful reading all your posts about pregnancy so I have some idea of what to expect! Enjoy these first few days and weeks at home with your new son.

17. awwww what a beautiful birth story! it got me so teary!! i might have to ask you a few questions in a few years about labor and delivery πŸ™‚ enjoy motherhood!! he’s so beautiful and you have a gorgeous family! xo

18. Cassie says:

I am balling over here, Caroline! What a beautiful story, and a beautiful blessing. I love this story!

19. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I loved all the photos, and I’m so, so glad that everything went as well as it could have for you. Congratulations again, and I can’t wait to hear all about Liam in future posts–he’s lucky to have parents like you and Logan! πŸ™‚

20. Krista says:

How absolutely wonderful! Congratulations! Our fathers grew up in similar situations so when we had our first boy it was all for him and he has enjoyed every moment since. Enjoy your new family!

21. Katie says:

It’s a boy!! Oh I was right, how cool… I must be getting good at this. That’s two predictions that came true this year.

Well anyways congratulations, he’s adorable and I love the pictures. Though I wonder who was taking them… eh, but anyways love the story and can’t wait to see all sorts of pics of Liam. Look at his expression on the bottom pics… too funny. Such a silly boy already πŸ™‚

22. Liam is just gorgeous!!! Congratulations to you and your new little family. I am so happy for you. πŸ™‚

23. Aw, congratulations again! What a big boy! He’s adorable πŸ™‚

24. Nancy says:

Congratulations! What a precious baby boy!! I teared up when I read that you named him after your dad. He must be so proud. Lucky Liam will surely be spoiled by all of those doting aunties. Enjoy.

25. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story! He’s so cute. Glad to hear you are doing well too. Have a wonderful weekend!

26. Beautiful story and absolutely beautiful baby!!!!

27. Congratulations! You both look beautiful. My son was born at 9 pounds with no epidural, so I (literally) feel your pain! I’m so happy your journey for a family has brought you to this point.

28. Caroline, you, Liam, the photos, and your story are all beautiful!!

29. Christina says:

Congratulations! I don’t know you at all and can’t remember how I first came to follow your blog, but I feel like we are old friends because I totally relate to you and your baby story. I’m so happy for you. Like you I love to bake and tinker with recipes to make them healthier. But where I really relate is that my husband and I struggled with getting pregnant since 2009 and underwent lots of fertility treatments. We were blessed with our 8lb 8oz baby boy this past October. For us, conceiving was such an emotionally and physically challenging time but we have been very open sharing our story with friends because so many people struggle with fertility issues and don’t talk about it. By sharing your story I’m sure it’s helping other readers out there who are having trouble starting a family.
    Being a mom is amazing and exhausting. I wish you and your new little family all the happiness in the world.

30. He is super adorable!! Congrats!

31. Congratulations!! He is beautiful, I love his name, and the last picture of the two of you is so cute!! This post made me tear up, I am so excited for all the wonderful things happening in your life and so excited for your new adventure!

32. congrats!!!!! great birth story! he is so beautiful!

33. Congratulations! He’s beautiful and you all look so happy! Many blessings!

34. CaitlinHTP says:

You looked so amazing for having just gave birth – WOW!

35. Danielle says:

Congratulations, what a blessing!

36. LOVE birth stories! Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy and an uneventful textbook labor, the best kind!

37. Sisifo says:

I know I am late, but I just discovered your hospital bag post, which led me here to your actual blog. (Via Pinterest, what else?) I just have to say congratulations! He’s a gorgeous little boy. I even teared up a little. My baby #4 is due in about a month so reading posts like this get my head in the game.

38. Congrats! Beautiful (& big!) baby boy. You really had an awesome delivery for a 1st baby! (I used to be a labor & delivery nurse). Inductions can sometimes be brutal. Enjoy every exhausting minute πŸ™‚

39. Pingback: Land O'Moms – For Moms, By Moms Community – Meals for a Busy New Mom

40. Pingback: breastfeeding | crackers & carrots

41. Pingback: postpartum {after delivery} | crackers & carrots

42. Lara says:

Your story is much better organized than mine πŸ˜‰ Way to go, mama! And you look ridiculously pretty for being in labor…not fair.

43. Pingback: My Top 10 Favorite Recipes of 2012 | chocolate & carrots

44. Lori says:

I love your story! The pictures just brought tears to my eyes. I hope everything is going well with you and your beautiful family! πŸ™‚

• caroline says:

Thank you Lori! I get butterflies every time I go back and read it. πŸ˜€ We’re doing great and Liam is a thriving 10 month old now and mobile. Help me! πŸ˜‰

45. Pingback: Our First House | chocolate & carrots