Eggplant season is here! Whether you grow your own or buy it in the store, it is inexpensive and delicious this time of year (July – October). As soon as I bought a couple at the store, I immediately craved Eggplant Parmesan. So, I decided to make my own simple, healthy version:
Baked Eggplant Parmesan over Spinach Spaghetti
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2-3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (marjoram, thyme, rosemary savory, sage, oregano, and basil blend)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound mild chicken sausage
- spaghetti sauce (24 oz can)
- 1 14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 box of spinach spaghetti noodles (about 8 oz)
- reduced fat feta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Rinse and slice eggplant into 1/4 – 1/2 inch round slices.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides of slices and let sit for 10 minutes to get some moisture out of the eggplant.
- Rinse the salt off and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Crack and whip egg whites in a bowl.
- Mix bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt in another bowl.
- Coat each eggplant slice in egg, followed by bread crumbs and place onto baking sheet covered with non stick foil (easy clean up!).
- Bake each side for approximately 10 minutes or until slightly brown.
- While the eggplant is in the oven, brown the sausage.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes to the sausage.
- After the eggplant is tender, drown in sauce.
- Let the eggplant and sauce simmer while you cook the spaghetti.
- Once the spaghetti is complete, serve and enjoy!
- Add Parmesan and/or feta cheese to top!
Servings: 4-5 people