During my days at the College of Charleston, my best friend, Kala, and I would walk to the local bakery and share a warm lemon blueberry scone with a cup of coffee. There’s nothing like good food and great conversation! When Kala was visiting this weekend we decided to make some of our own. Here is our recipe:
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into tiny pieces (1/4 inch or smaller cubes)
- zest of one lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3/4 -1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup plain 0% fat greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon milk (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix with a knife until well blended.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and mix until butter is spread throughout.
- Add blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir.
- Gently mix in milk and yogurt until you’re able to switch to kneading it with your hands.
- Form dough into an 8 inch circle and cut into eight slices.
- Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in non-stick foil.
- Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
Servings: 8 scones