This is Debbie Edwards. The best mother-in-law in the world.
At my bridal shower a couple of years ago, I had the honor of receiving a recipe from her. It was a recipe for this dessert…my soon-to-be husband’s favorite. Check it out! I modified the recipe to make it a little bit better for you, too. You’re in for a treat!
Dark Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup special dark cocoa powder
- 1 can fat free evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 2 bananas
- 2 packages of Dream Whip (which calls for 1 cup of skim milk) or whipping cream
- Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa and evaporated milk in a saucepan and heat through.
- Once heated, add the slightly beaten egg yolks. (Tip: So that the yolks don’t scramble, you must temper them. To do this, take a small amount of the hot chocolate mixture and stir it quickly into the yolks. Then, proceed to add the egg yolks in the sauce pan, stirring constantly.)
- When the mixture starts to thicken, add the butter and vanilla.
- Once combined, pour into the graham cracker crust.
- Allow it to cool in the refrigerator.
- Once cool, mix the whipping cream as instructed on the box.
- Slice the bananas and arrange them on the chocolate.
- Then, spread the whipped goodness on the top of the bananas.
- Slice and enjoy!