Whole Wheat Herb Havarti and Tomato Focaccia
Adapted from Corbin Tomaszeski
- 1 pkg Hodgson Mill Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 6 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 4 oz shredded light Havarti cheese
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (julienned)
- In a bowl, proof the yeast by mixing the warm water, yeast and sugar and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the two flours in your stand mixer with a spoon.
- Then, add the olive oil and yeast water to the flour.
- With your kneading hook, mix on low for about 5 minutes or until the dough is mixed and forms a ball.
- In a well oiled bowl, put the dough in and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper brushed with olive oil.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 400°.
- Press and mold the dough down into a thin rectangle on the baking sheet.
- Then spread the garlic on the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, tomato halves and cheese.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
- Bake the focaccia for about 25-35 minutes, or until light brown and hollow when tapped. (Tip: If the bread is getting too brown and still not finished baking, simply cover the bread with some foil until it’s baked thoroughly.)
- Allow the bread to cool for about 15 minutes and top with the basil.
- Slice and enjoy with your favorite Italian meal!
Looks yummie! 🙂