The perfect crowd pleaser.
It gives you the taste of a cinnamon roll, without all of the calories!
Cinnamon Roll Cookies
adapted from recipegirl
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg white
- With a mixer, beat powdered sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla extract together.
- Once combined, add in flour, 1/2 cup at a time until incorporated.
- Turn out dough onto plastic wrap, wrap it up in a disk shape, and let it chill.
- In the meantime, set out 2 long pieces of wax paper (one on top of the other) that has been floured on the inside.
- Also, prepare the sugar and cinnamon mixture in a small bowl.
- And in a separate bowl, combine the egg white and water and mix until foamy.
- Once the dough has chilled (freezer for about 15-20 minutes or refrigerator for an hour) and is hard enough to work with, turn it out onto the floured wax surface.
- Cover the dough with the other floured wax paper and roll out to a 9″ x 12″ rectangle.
- Brush the dough with the egg white mixture (until covered: don’t feel like you are obligated to use it all) and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Using the wax paper, roll the dough into a log (long-wise).
- Freeze the log wrapped in the wax paper until firm (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil, or grease it.
- Remove the cookie log from the freezer and using a sharp knife, gently cut the cookies into 1/2″ slices.
- Leaving about 1″ clearance between cookies, bake for about 12 minutes or until light brown.
Servings: 22-24 cookies
Those look adorable!
These are beautiful and look delicious! Gorgeous photos!
These look so good. I’ve been looking for a good cinnamon roll cookie recipe.
What gorgeous photos! I made these last year and after the delicious reminder, I may have to make them again. :~)
man those were amazing!!! Best cookies ever!!! Your photos look awlsome!!!
could you just use store bought pastry dough instead of making your own? or are they a different consistency?
Yeah…I would think that it would be fine to use store bought sugar cookie dough (or if you can find it, short bread dough, would make it more of what the recipe consistency favors) and it would be fine. Keep experimenting! I’d love to know if it works for you! 🙂
First I just wanted to say I LOVE the design of your site. Second, those cookies look amazing!! Cinnamon rolls are my favorite- and I’ve never said no to a cookie- sounds like the best of both worlds!
Wow, what delicious-looking cookies. I love chocolate, and these cookies look mouth-watering! I usually stick to these Brownie Cookies – http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/brownie_cookies.htm – They’re pretty tasty too!
These are absolutely adorable. I am a sucker for anything with cinnamon.
These look absolutely adorable! Almost too cute to eat… but eat them I will! After I make them, of course!
I don’t recomend using an electic mixer…… it might over work the dough. But other then that their really good and sweet. 🙂
those pictures look amazzzzzzzzing