On a day when you have some free time during the day and want a quick and easy dinner: this one’s for you!
I threw it together that afternoon…
…left it in the fridge until we were ready…
…then enjoy it!
- 20 stalks asparagus (cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 15 ounce can of no salt added peas (drained)
- 1 pound boiled boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium sweet onion (diced)
- 13.5 ounce box of whole wheat penne regate
- 10 3/4 ounce can of reduced fat cream of celery soup (undiluted)
- 1 cup reduced sodium natural chicken broth
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1/2 cup of pasta water (from when you boil the noodles)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- In a large bowl combine asparagus and peas.
- Now, in a large stock pot, boil the chicken (about 20 minutes), shred and add to the bowl.
- Sauté the onions in the same pot and add to the bowl.
- Again, in the same pot, cook the noddles until very firm or al dente and add to the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soup, broth, 3 ounces of the mozzarella cheese, pasta water, salt and pepper.
- Add the soup mixture to the large bowl and stir.
- Pour into a 14.5″ X 11″ casserole dish.
- Top with 1-2 more ounces of the mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- At this point, you can either go ahead and bake it or put it in the refrigerator for later.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.