This is a excellent ‘go-to’ dessert that you can stick in the oven either when you’re sitting down to dinner or when you’re guests are arriving for dinner. It’ll be ready to eat after dinner without any stress. Just set that timer and you’re good to go!
And I know there are loads of different Apple Crisp recipes, but this one just has the best combination of the crispy oat filled topping, elegant sweetness of the apples, tart punch of the cranberries, and the creamy pops of caramel. How about that for a mental picture, huh?
My apologies, but this photo just doesn’t do this dessert justice. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Crisp
adapted from Country Crock
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 10 caramels, quartered (I used Kraft’s caramel squares)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats until the butter is the size of peas. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, and caramels.
- Prepare the apples and put them in the bowl with the sugar mixture.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon on top of the apples and mix, covering all of the apples in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Turn the apple mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with canola oil or equivalent.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake for almost an hour, or until apples are tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla frozen yogurt!