I don’t mean to be biased, but all other pumpkin pies have NOTHING on this one. Every bite of this amazing pumpkin pie has the smooth and rich pumpkin, spicy gingersnaps, buttery pecans, and of course the warm brown sugar touch.
I’m telling you right now that if you make this upgraded pumpkin pie for your guests at Thanksgiving, you will have everyone wanting the recipe. You’ll be the talk of the night, and everyone will be so grateful to have you, the master pastry chef, in their family.
Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients (Pie Crust)
adapted from Whole Foods
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter (cut up into tiny piece, about 6 cubes per tablespoon)
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 cups of gingersnaps
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
How-To (Pie Crust)
- In a large bowl (with an electric hand mixer) or in your stand mixer, combine the flour, salt and butter.
- Next add in 1 tablespoon of the ice cold water into the mixer at a time, until the dough will form a ball when pressed in.
- Form the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes until it’s cold.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll out the pie crust onto a floured surface.
- Carefully transfer it to your pie plate, crimp, and tuck under the excess dough.
- Now, in a food processor or blender combine the pecans and gingersnaps and chop them until they are finely chopped.
- Add in the powdered sugar, combine.
- Drizzle the butter in and combine.
- Push gingersnap mixture in the bottom and halfway up the sides of the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
Ingredients (Pie Filling)
adapted from Southern Living
- 15 ounces of pumpkin purée (or canned pumpkin)
- 14 ounce can of low fat or fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
How-To (Pie Filling)
- Beat eggs in your stand mixer or with your hand mixer.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the pie filling into the crust and cover with a pie crust shell or foil to protect the crust.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle the Pecan Streusel (recipe below) around the edges.
- Bake for another 40 minutes.
- Let cool for about an hour.
Ingredients (Pecan Streusel Topping)
from Southern Living
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup rough chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
How-To (Pecan Streusel Topping)
- Combine all ingredients and sprinkle round the outside edges of the pie.