Alright, I know ya’ll depend on me for making desserts healthier…and trust me, this recipe could be made better. But, while baking with my mom, we baked her way…just the way I remember it growing up. Mmm, poppy seed loaf. Delicious…and if you see the ingredients you’ll see why. 😉 I guess the best thing about this is that there isn’t any butter! Haha!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this. Just remember, a little slice is all you need. 😀
Oh, and make sure you get an end piece…the best two slices because all of the glaze settles there. Yummmmm.
Poppy Seed Loaf
from my mom, Mary Ruth Starr
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the sugar, eggs and oil.
- Add the milk and flavorings.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the batter along with the poppy seeds.
- Beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Bake in two large loaf pans for about an hour
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Once out of the oven, mix the following ingredients together and pour over hot loaves.
- Remove from pans when the loaves have cooled.
This looks so light and fabulous. Wish i had a piece with my morning coffee
My mom makes this too! So good! I really enjoy your blog, Caroline! Hope you’re well 🙂
Aww….thank you Mark! I’m very well…I hope all is well with you too! 😀 Poppy seed loaf is definitely a delicious treat!
Gotta love mom Mary’s poppy seed loaf. Fabulous!
So tasty! 😀