My husband and his family love to get their protein from meat. However, I felt like it was my job to show them how good a vegetarian meal can be and how they wouldn’t miss the meat.
I served these creamy & crunchy, spicy yet cool, bean burritos.
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- sliced green onions
- non-fat plain Chobani Greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
- reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
I hope you enjoy this recipe! And if you have any meat-lovers in your family, this is just the meal for you to make for them to show them that they won’t miss it one bit. 😀
Vegetarian Bean Burritos
adapted from Kohler Created
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons chile powder
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped (one chili from my can was a little less than 1 tablespoon after chopped)
- 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium pinto beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- Sautée the olive oil, cloves, chile powder, chipotle chilis, cumin and salt on medium-high for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth and beans, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in the salsa and mash about half of the beans.
- Assemble your burritos!
Servings: 8 burritos