Some days you just want a nice, hot bowl of soup. We had one of these kind of days a couple of days ago.
This soup is super easy and is ready within 45 minutes. It’s a great weekday meal with minimal prep-work and an excellent one dish wonder. 🙂 Plus it’s loaded with veggies and hearty whole grains. It’s very filling and with the fun noodles will please any picky eater!
A big thanks to Alison at Ingredients, Inc for sharing this recipe! 😀
Healthy and Filling Lentil Soup
from Ingredients, Inc.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound dry lentils
- 2 1/2 – 3 (32 ounce) reduced sodium cartons of chicken broth (amount dependent on the type of noodles used)
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 13.25 ounce box of whole wheat rotini (I used Ronzoni, but feel free to use what ever small noodle you’d like and as much or as little as you’d like.)
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, sauté the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and pepper in the olive oil until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the tomatoes and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and stir them around good.
- Add in the chicken broth and thyme.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add in the pasta when you are about ready to serve and cook for about 10 minutes (depending on the type of pasta).
- Serve with your favorite bread to soak up the delicious juices! 🙂
I love lentil soup. I am surprised you got the lentils soft so quickly. You didn’t cook them at all before making the soup?
So glad you liked it! Looks great! Happy weekend!
Soup looks delish! What kind of bread is that? Did you make it?
Haha…I definitely didn’t make it….however, would love to find a good recipe. I got it at Publix grocery store. 🙂