I’m not sure why I’ve had such a flourless-kick in my baking lately. I guess just the thought of making something so good without flour is just so exciting! Plus, I love having someone try any of my flourless baked goods and seeing the surprised look on their face when I tell them that there is no flour in it. Love it! 😀
There isn’t much to explain about this cake other than it was SUPER easy to make, and it is RICH….rich, rich, rich! This cake will cure any chocoholic, at least for the night. 😉
It is so chocolatey that you’ll definitely need a scope of non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt to accompany it. It’s basically like a brownie cake. Moist and delicious!!!
Some Notes before we get started:
- I only had a 9″ springform pan on hand. The recipe calls for an 8″ cake pan or springform pan. So the cake is a little thinner than I would have liked, but delicious nonetheless.
- Also, my whole head was not in the recipe while I was baking this cake. So I boo-booed and mixed all of the sugar in with the egg yolks. I just went with it and proceeded to whip the egg whites separately….Stirred the sugar and yolks mixture into the chocolate and folded the chocolate mixture into the egg whites. So I can attest that this method or the method described below works great. 🙂
Flourless Chocolate Cake
adapted from The Post and Courier February 6, 2011
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli 60% cacoa)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter.
- In a small bowl, stir the four yolks and 1/4 cup of the sugar together.
- Add the yolk/sugar mixture to the chocolate and butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the four egg whites (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar while beating until stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes).
- Fold the egg white/sugar into the chocolate mixture and pour into a greased 8″ cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester stuck in the center comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or a scoop of ice cream!