Oh, they went there. Nabisco made Peanut Butter Oreos. Yum!
I ate one. And it was amazing. Two seconds later, I checked the ingredients and I couldn’t believe I just ate what I just ate. Can you say processed much?!?
Speaking of which, I’ve been eating Oreos forever! It’s such a classic cookie! I wasn’t about to give up Oreos, but I knew we could come up with a homemade oreo.
Chelsea (brother-in-law’s girlfriend) and I were up for the challenge. We only attempted these once. The cookies weren’t your crisp traditional oreo cookie, but they were moist with a crunch exterior. Delicious!
I’m planning on giving them another try to get more of that crisp cookie.
You know how Oreo’s makes those Oreo Cakesters? Well, our homemade version almost reminds me of them…but it would be called the Oreo Brownisters. Mmm!
And I know you’ve seen it at least a dozen times, but the peanut butter and chocolate combo never gets old. Love it! 🙂
And finally, here’s the side-by-side comparison of the two cookies. Choose the right one (pun intended). You won’t be sorry…and you won’t be ingesting all of those nasty processed ingredients.
Enjoy! And thank you for baking with me Chelsea! 🙂
Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos
adapted from Just a Little Bite
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Set aside a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 15 second increments until melted, stirring in between.
- Once melted, stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks.
- Slowly beat in the sugar to the egg whites.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture to the egg whites.
- Using a 1/2 tablespoon spoon, measure out your dough onto the baking sheet, spaced 2″ apart.
- Using a flat bottomed cup that has been sprayed with cooking spray, press the cookie dough down flat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Servings: 24 cookies which makes 12 oreos
Peanut Butter Icing
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Beat the ingredients together until blended.
- Fill a ziplock bag with the icing.
- Cut a hole in one of the corners and squirt about 1 tablespoon of icing between two cookies.