I’m sure you’re like me when I say that I don’t have time for crazy complicated weeknight meals, yet I want to save the calories and money and just eat-in. I’m always looking for those quick and easy…and even make ahead, meals that are perfect for just that. 😀
This Taco Pie was super simple to put together. I even made it in the morning, put it in the refrigerator, and baked it when my husband got home! Perfection.
Make-Ahead Taco Pie
- 3 6″ low carb wheat tortillas
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning (about 0.5 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- dash of pepper
- 1 cups dried black beans (cooked according to package instructions), or 1 can of reduced sodium black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese
- Spray a 9″ pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a pan, saute the onion and bell pepper in olive oil.
- Once, sauteed, set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, cook the ground turkey until browned.
- Add in the taco seasoning and the sauteed onion and bell pepper, and the black beans.
- Place on tortilla on the bottom of the pie pan.
- Spread 1/3 of the vegetable turkey mixture on the tortilla.
- Spread 1/3 of the salsa on top of that.
- Spread 1/3 of the cheese.
- Layer with the second tortilla.
- Spread the next 1/3 of the vegetable turkey mixture on the tortilla.
- Spread the next 1/3 of the salsa on top of that.
- Spread the next 1/3 of the cheese.
- Layer with the last tortilla.
- Spread the remaining 1/3 of the vegetable turkey mixture on the tortilla.
- Spread the remaining 1/3 of the salsa on top of that.
- Spread the remaining 1/3 of the cheese.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator if you aren’t ready to cook it yet (meaning: not eating for a couple of hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and take the pie out of the refrigerator.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (if you just took it out of the refrigerator) or 20-25 minutes (if you just assembled it), until the cheese is melted and bubbly on top.
- Serve slices with a dollop of light sour cream or non-fat plain Greek yogurt.
This looks delicious! I totally am on the same page with you on healthy, inexpensive and easy weeknight dinners!
Oooh that looks delicious! Love the fresh herb garnish, I just told my husband yesterday that since w had fresh herbs again, the plate garnishes will be back! Does yours think the plate garnishes are ridiculous too? I love them.
Haha…I love them too! I’m lucky and Logan just goes with the flow. He’s a photographer too, so luckily he values the subject being photographed. 🙂 Love it! You should just tell your husband that he should consider himself lucky that he gets restaurant style plating. Lucky duck! 😀
Oh my, I need to make this with some soy crumbles! This looks amazing.
this looks so good! i love make-ahead dinners for week nights. otherwise i’m starving when i get home and tempted to order out!